Marcus Garvey Lifetime Achievement Award
Basil Watson has been sculpting, drawing and painting for over 40 years, with the human figure as his primary area of focus. In 2016 he was awarded the Order of Distinction (Commander class) by the Jamaican Government in recognition of his many achievements in the Fine Arts. While several major commissions can be found in Jamaica, many of his monumental works have also been commissioned in Atlanta, other cities in the USA and around the world. He is currently working on a twice life size, 12ft sculpture of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for the city of AtlantaLEARN MORE
Selected List of Public Sculptures 2020
1. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. – Atlanta, Ga 2020 Bronze, 12ft (2x life size).
2. “Sub 10sec King” – Monument to Asafa Powell – National Stadium, Kingston, Jamaica.
Bronze, 1.33 life-size. Former 100m World Record holder and most sub 10sec 100m races.
3. “Veronica Campbell” – National Stadium, Kingston, Jamaica 2019
Bronze, 1.33 life-size. Multiple Olympic and World Champion sprinter.
4. “Pocket Rocket” – Monument to Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce – Kingston, Jamaica 2018
Bronze, 1.33 Life size. The Greatest female Sprinter of all times.
5. Heroic Busts of Jamaica’s seven (7) National Heroes – Emancipation Park, Jamaica 2018
6. “Monument to Louise Bennett (Miss Lou)” Gordon Town, Jamaica 2018
Louise Bennett was a renown Literary Artist in Jamaica, Canada and the world.
7. “Usain Bolt Nation Monument”; National Stadium, Kingston Jamaica – 2017
Bronze, 1.25 life-size. Commemorating Usain Bolt, Multiple Olympic Champion and the greatest sprinter of all time.
8. “African American Boy”; Helena AR, USA – 2012
Bronze, 4ft x 3ft x 3ft. Commemorates school for orphaned children after the Civil War.
9. “Rings of Life”; Victoria Jubilee Hospital, Kingston Jamaica — 2012
Unveiled by Prince HRH Harry. Commemoration of the Golden Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth
10. “CRADLE – The Future In Our Hands”, Vine City, Atlanta, GA — 2010
Bronze Composite, 1.25 Life-Size. Commissioned by the Fulton County Arts Council for the Neighborhood Union Health Center.
11. “Taproot”, Guatemala City, Guatemala — 2010
Marble, 7ft x 5ft x 3ft. 2nd Festival Internacional de Esculptura.
12. “Beyond The Tape – Herb McKenley”, National Stadium, Kingston, Jamaica — 2009
Bronze, 8ft. Tribute to The Honorable Herb McKenley, OJ, OD, CD.
13. “Balance”, Montego Bay Jamaica – 2006
Bronze, 15ft. Commissioned in commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of Doctor’s Cave Bathing Club.
14. “Merlene Ottey”, Kingston Jamaica – 2005
Bronze, 8ft. Erected at Independence Park, National Stadium in honor of Jamaican Sprinter Merlene Ottey.
15. “Earth To Heaven”, Changchun, China – 2004
Bronze, 10ft. 7th Changchun China International Sculpture Symposium, Changchun Sculpture Park, China.
16. “Circle of Knowledge”, Mandeville, Jamaica – 2002
Bronze Composite, 8ft. Northern Caribbean University, Mandeville, Jamaica.